When is the last time you asked these questions (either mentally or out loud):
- Why don’t they fix this?
- How come prospects are so hard to reach these days?
- Who set these goals or targets?
- How am I supposed to ________ (any activity)?
What about these thoughts?
- Sure, like that’s going to really happen.
- That’s not one I am going to win.
- If only _____________ (managers, customers, my family) would ____________ (any activity).
Reading the list, do you sense the despair or lack of power?
Too often I hear a lot of excuses or victim thinking when talking to people about where they are as far as performance, focus, and goal achievement. Heck, I hear myself saying some of these things at times too!
Yet, this dependence on what others are doing or not doing will stall us and leave us feeling, or really, unempowered.
Let’s stop this nonsense!
In the spirit of celebrating Independence Day in the US. It’s time to stake your independence too.
Instead of the questions and thoughts above, what if they were replaced with these questions:
- What can I do to not only fix this today, but for the future?
- How can I reach prospects in creative and consistent ways over the next week or month?
- What goals are realistic and how can I achieve them?
- What do I need to learn/do to get where I want/need to be?
- Who will I ask for help? (that’s a tough one!)
And these thoughts:
- I know I can do this.
- Is this one I want to win?
- I am going to____________ (talk to my manager, take this action, or commit to).
Imagine what the next six months of 2014 will reap for you when you claim your independence today.
p.s. Did you notice each of the independent questions and thoughts contain the word I? You are in control of your destiny when you claim your Independence!
One way to be independent is to keep learning!